Fake news articles have been circulating on social media as sponsored ads, encouraging the public to invest in a cryptocurrency trading platform called Bitcoin Storm, which allegedly can transform anyone into a millionaire within 3-4 months.
- May lead to huge financial losses
- Credit card or banking details will be stolen
- Leakage of personal information such as email address, username and password
- Not to make any investments with individuals or entities that are not permitted under the relevant laws.
- Never trust any ads that promote get-rich-quick schemes. Criminals may use names or pictures of well-known individuals or brands to make the scam look legitimate.
- Make sure the site uses HTTPS instead of HTTP.
- Never reveal any confidential or personal identifying information especially financial details to untrusted parties.
- Do not feel pressured into decision making. Read documents given, do research and seek independent or trusted legal or financial advise.
- Be sure to use only reputable exchange when buying or selling Bitcoin.
- Do not fall for scams that offer extremely attractive market prices.
- Be cautious with which apps you allow to have administrator access on your devices.
- Make sure to install genuine software and only login on legitimate websites.
- Any suspicious advertisements regarding investments should be reported to Autoriti Monetari Brunei Darussalam (AMBD).